School Garden Resources
Resources at Extension
Extension Master GardenerSM volunteers (EMGV) offer school garden mentors who can provide the following services:
Site visit and Consultation
- Garden site selection and planning.
- Advice on garden team development.
- Garden construction and planting plans.
- Garden advice on how to plant, water, weed, mulch, harvest, etc.
- Information on where to get materials.
- OR Extension Master Gardener volunteer Infoline, to answer garden questions: (336)641-2404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seeds to Share is an event for school and community gardens to receive free herb, vegetable, and flower seeds for their gardens. The event is the first Saturday in February in Greensboro and the second Saturday in February in High Point.
- N.C. Cooperative Extension of Guilford County keeps a supply of seeds for donation year-round. Ask Quina Weber-Shirk!
Gardening and Nutrition Curriculum
- Guilford County 4-H: standards-aligned, hands-on classroom curriculum for K-12 (some with rentable kits), contact our office at (336) 641-2400
- Junior Master Gardener: curriculum K-5 and 6-8
- Life Lab
- Edible Schoolyard: lessons for 6-8
- Nourish: curriculum and videos for K-12 about food and food systems
Up-to-Date Grant Opportunities
- Guilford County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer School Garden Micro-grant, every fall—contact N.C. Cooperative Extension ofGuilford County.
- Gardening with Kids
- North Carolina Environmental Education Center
- National Farm to School Program
- National Environmental Education Foundation Grants