School Gardens Steps to Success
Find this page at:
Steps to Success
- Gather your Team
- Build a leadership team of 5 to 10 people, including support from teachers, students, administration, and families.
- Integrate the Garden
- Ask: Why is a garden right for us? What are our goals? Will the garden connect to specific standards?
- Who is our garden for? When in the school day will it be used?
- Find a Garden Site (and Permission!)
- Easily visible and accessible for teachers and students, 8 hours of direct sunlight, and close access to water.
- Work closely with your school’s facilities department and administration about permits or other requirements.
- Develop the Garden
- Design the garden with students and teachers! Start small and build on success. Developing in phases is a good way to go.
- Identify partners who can help with resources and funding. See listed grant opportunities.
- Plan: How will the garden be maintained? Will each class have their own plot, will it be a communal garden, or some combination? Develop leadership roles and garden guidelines.
- Build Community Year-round
- Hold school-wide workdays, workshops, and garden celebrations.
- Share successes with the School Garden Network Facebook page!