El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Guilford County’s Invests in Food Security through Cooperative Extension
The goal of the Food Security Program in the N.C. Cooperative Extension – Guilford County Center is to improve food security across Guilford County communities. We do this by working through the various parts of the food system. Our work includes improving access to food, building the capacity of existing organizations that connect people to food, strengthening our farming system and farmers’ markets, minimizing food waste and improving food reclamation.
In 2022, the Guilford County Board of Commissioners established the Food Security Program through county’s Cooperative Extension office using funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
The primary objectives of the program are to:
- improve opportunities for collaboration and connection between existing community organizations and stakeholders committed to improving food security in Guilford County;
- create a system for measuring and sharing data amongst organizations working to improve food security across Guilford County;
- develop a county-wide food security plan for Guilford County.
Two full-time positions have been created through this funding – a county Food Security Coordinator and a Food Security Program Assistant. We expect to have both of these positions filled by early Spring, 2023.
- March, 2023 – We are excited to announce that Alyssa McKim will be joining our team on April 24 as our Guilford County Food Security Coordinator! We will hold a floating welcome reception for Alyssa on April 26 from 12 – 2 p.m. at the Guilford County Extension Office (3309 Burlington Road in Greensboro).
- January, 2023 – We have posted and closed the Food Security Coordinator position through Guilford County and are in the process of reviewing applications and scheduling interviews. One this position is filled, we will begin the process of hiring a Food Security Program Assistant.
- December, 2022 – Construction of work spaces for the expected new staff members has been completed.
Find Food Assistance in Guilford County
The Greater High Point Food Finder App is a great way to search geographically and find food resources near you. The site is updated regularly.
Stay Connected: Join Our Email List
The easiest way to stay up to date on what is happening in our Food Security Program is to subscribe to email updates. Updates are sent out about once per month.
- Sign up for any of our newsletters by going to this page: https://guilford.ces.ncsu.edu/department-newsletters/
Get Involved: Food Security Program Advisory Council
Programs in Cooperative Extension usually have an advisory council that serves as a means for community input as well as a way for program staff to share updates with community stakeholders about our work. Guilford County will have a Food Security Program Advisory Council in 2023. Nominations for new members are accepted throughout the year. If you are interested in serving on the group, please email Alyssa McKim, Food Security Coordinator at email@example.com.