Think You Know Sugar?
- Sugar – is table sugar which shown below is:sucrose = fructose + glucose
- Sugars – any combination of different types of monosaccharides and disaccharides such as glucose, fructose, maltose, lactose, galactose, etc. “aka” sugar particles
- Refined: to purify or make pure through extraction and filtration.
- Molasses is a naturally occurring syrupy substance that gives sugar its brown color.
Natural sugar is sugar that is naturally found in some of the foods that we eat.
- Dairy Products
Usually combined with nutrients such as:
Fibrous foods allow you to feel full longer and the sugars are taken up by the body slowly.
Raw (Turbinado) sugar is basically sugar that has not been completely refined. Some of the molasses is still left in the sugar, leaving it with a light brown color.
Raw sugar barely has traces of minerals such as calcium, iron, and potassium.
Refined: to purify or make pure.
Extract all chemicals and molasses from sugar crystals and only sucrose is left.
Found in foods that are highly processed.
- Flavored yogurts
The body takes these sugars up quickly which spikes blood sugar in a short amount of time. You usually lack the full and satisfied feeling after eating the food item.
Processed or Synthetic Sugars:
- High fructose corn syrup
- Sucralose, aspartame, saccharin, xylitol, sorbitol
- Fruit juice concentrates